Monday, May 16, 2011

Prague: Part I

To get in to Prague we took an overnight train from Amsterdam and while I didn't get the best nights sleep in my life, I would still definitely do it again. The train ride in total took 14 hours, but you get on at 7pm and you arrive in Prague the next morning at 9am so you spend a good amount of that time sleeping like you normally would. We got a sleeper with two beds in it and a sink. Like I said, I slept but not very well because the train was a bit loud at times (Mark says they were going too fast for the condition of the tracks so that's why it was so loud) and I awoke every time we would stop.













When we arrived in Prague we found our way on the Metro to our hotel. We are staying right in Old Town Square which has it's advantages (central location, lots around us) but also has its definite disadvantages (hordes of tourists). Our hotel room is nice and much bigger than I thought and we have a view right over the square. There is a restaurant below us but surprisingly it doesn't bother us much when we are trying to sleep. However, there is some big hockey thing going on so there have been jumbo-trons showing the games on the square and people cheering, blowing horns, etc. Pretty silly, but it seems as if the Czech won, so that's good for their people.

Anyways, when we first got here we couldn't check in until 3pm so we grabbed some breakfast and then headed up to the castle and (what I believe is) St. Vitus's Cathedral. It was drizzly so I must admit it was rather miserable and I just wanted to get in to my room and rest.





























Our second day in Prague we went to the top of a tower right across from us and got more views. On the hour a trumpet player plays this simple announcement thing and it is stuck in my head all the time. We were lucky enough to be up at the top of the tower when the hour struck and we got a good view of the tourists gathering around the astronomical clock and got to hear the lovely trumpet solo. Everyone cheers afterwards.












We then went up the funicular railway to get yet another view of Prague. There was a pretty garden that we wandered around before walking down to a restaurant halfway down Petrín Hill. We ended up sitting at what wasn't the restaurant and instead a really crappy café with a good view. The good thing is I got my fix of cats in for a little while because there was a very friendly kitty who was pregnant!



























We took the funicular railway back up the one stop to the top and were greeted by peacocks before heading over to the observation tower. After that we went to the Mirror Maze which was a quick laugh. Finally we rode the metro to Wenceslas Square to check it out. When we got back to the room there we're hundreds of people outside in Old Town Square for a hockey game.
































I would hate to do Prague in one post, especially with all the pictures so I will save our last two days for another post which also gives me some time to edit pictures. I was actually supposed to post this this morning but we weren't able to get breakfast at the hotel so I didn't have any wifi to do so. We are actually on the train on our way to Munich right now so it's safe to say I'm very behind with my posts!

1 comment:

  1. Prague is as beautiful as I remember. I can't wait to get back there. I think I need to see Amsterdam. Love you. Mom

    ReplyDelete